Co-opted to Cavan County Council in 2007 on the retirement of my father, Eddie, I have done my best to continue his commitment and record of hard work on behalf of the people of West Cavan. In that short time, I have raised many issues and helped secure funding for many projects on your behalf, including:
• Investment in our schools and in better community facilities such as playgrounds and sports facilities examples of these are:
• Over €230,000 for Shannon Gaels GAA Club,
• An Outdoor Activity Area for Adults at Lough MacNean; the first of its kind in Europe.
• Working with the local committee to secure funding for a new state of the art childcare facility at Blacklion costing almost € 500,000.
• Increased expenditure on all our roads; regional and local and under the Local Improvement Scheme, improving parking, footpaths and safety measures in our towns and villages.
• Continuing investment on our farms. As a farmers’ son I understand that in this generation, the family farm faces its’ greatest challenges. I continue to highlight these and propose positive solutions.
• Ensuring that County Cavan remains supportive of rural development
• Securing funding for tourism products including;
• Developing the UNESCO designated Marble Arch Global Geopark
• Improving access to our lakes and rivers and developing walking routes.
• Extending the Shannon Navigation nearer to Dowra and further develop the Shannon Erne Waterway.
• Developing Corrard House as an Outdoor Education Centre.
• Supporting enterprise by working for 4th generation broadband and other services for rural areas.
• Improving Bring Centres throughout the area and the Civic Amenity Facility at Ballyconnell through my role on the Environment Strategic Policy Committee.
You can see from the many press releases that I have highlighted issues of concern to our community.